Update Feb 2021: Gainsborough Primary and Nursery School have been successful in completing the PSQM.
At Gainsborough, we want children to be inspired and encouraged and to be inquisitive about the world. We want to provide them with skills that are useful across their learning and life. Science is for everyone. Giving them an understanding of science allows children to make judgements about technologies, health and other important factors of the world.
At Gainsborough we want all children to have a positive experience of science giving it clear purpose and meaning in the world today, so that it excites and engages ALL learners and teachers.
Developing the children’s vocabulary is paramount at Gainsborough Primary and Nursery School. As science is a discipline that relies heavily on the ability to understand new terms and concepts, our strong focus on vocabulary helps our students reduce the barriers they have to learning and communicate using the appropriate terminology.
Our curriculum is designed to ignite the imagination of our pupils. Planning for science is a process in which all teachers are involved to ensure that the school gives full coverage of the National Curriculum programmes of study for Science 2014 and ‘Understanding of the World’ in the Early Years Foundation Stage.
Science teaching at Gainsborough involves adapting and extending the curriculum to match all pupils’ needs.
Science at Gainsborough is sequential, allowing children to develop their skills and knowledge over time, deepening learning to provide the foundations so they know more, remember more and are able to do more. In giving the children a variety of skills our children can develop and reach their individual potential and succeed in life. At Gainsborough scientific enquiry skills are embedded into each topic the children study, allowing the children to become more independent in their problem solving, to discover answers to their questions and to become 'true scientists'.
Our science curriculum ensures that all children are provided with rich learning experiences that will:
• Prepare children for life in an increasingly scientific and technological world today and in the future.
• Develop children’s use of scientific language.
• Help children to make links between science and other subjects.
• Help children acquire a growing understanding of the nature, processes and methods of scientific ideas.
• Help develop and extend children’s scientific concept of their world.
• Build on children’s natural curiosity and developing a scientific approach to problems.
• Provide the opportunity for children to ask scientific questions and answer them.
As part of the PSQM journey, all staff, pupils, parents and subject linked governors have been asked to develop our visions and principles of science learning and teaching at Gainsborough.
Science at Gainsborough will develop every child’s knowledge of the world and everything in it. It will allow them to develop an enquiring mind, encouraging them to solve problems and to look at the world in different ways.
Through the teaching of science we are preparing them for the modern world looking at the changes of technology, sustainability and appreciation for the planet.
To achieve this science teaching at Gainsborough Primary and Nursery School involves:
Gainsborough’s Great Sunflower Competition 2021.
To enter the competition, please send a donation of 50p via school gateway. There will be a prize for the tallest grown sunflower. This competition will run until the 6th September, where we ask you to send in a photo and the measurement of your grown sunflower.
Below are some instructions to help your sunflower grow:
1) In early June dig a hole and transfer the seedlings into you garden in a sunny spot.
2) Keep watered when dry.
3) In July- September they will grow tall. You don’t want the stem to break so use a sticks or canes to hold it up.
4) Save the flower heads for the birds to eat. You can save some seeds to grow next year too!
5) Remember have fun and send us lots of photos via email and Facebook so we can share them on the website, newsletter and social media.
Another award for Gainsborough
We have been successful in gaining the Level 1 RHS School Gardening award. Well done to all involved :)
Science learning at home
Links for Children and Parents
Games and Apps
Want to do an investigation at home? (make sure you check with your adult at home!)